What is food mineral?

Minerals are inorganic elements that originate in the earth and cannot be made in the body. They play important roles in various bodily functions and are necessary to sustain life and maintain optimal health, and thus are essential nutrients.

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Lead poisoning

Lead (Pb) is a natural component of the earth's crust with trace amounts existing in soil, water and plants. It has many uses, including in the manufacture of lead-acid batteries for motor vehicles and energy storage, in pigments and paints, solder, ammunition, ceramic glazes, jewelry, toys and also in some cosmetics and traditional medicines.

Lead is the most important toxic heavy element in the environment. Globally it is an abundantly distributed, important yet dangerous environmental chemical. According to WHO lead poisoning refers to excessive human exposure to lead.

Lead enters the body via ingestion or inhalation from sources such as soil, food, lead dust and contact with lead in products of everyday use and in the workplace. In the work environment, the main route of absorption of Pb and its compounds is through the respiratory system, although lead is also absorbed via the digestive system.

Lead has been used for thousands of years and its poisoning effects have been recognized for several centuries. Leaded gasoline and paints were thought to be the main sources of lead pollution in the environment.

Though its widespread use has discontinued in many countries of the world, it is still used in many industries like car repair, battery manufacturing and recycling, refining, smelting, etc. Lead is a highly poisonous metal affecting almost every organ in the body.

Lead has no biological function in the body. It accumulates in the body and affects practically all organ systems. Long-time exposure to lead has been reported to cause anemia, along with an increase in blood pressure, and that mainly in old and middle-aged people.

Lead exposure can cause chronic and debilitating health impacts in all age groups, but it is particularly harmful to young children. This is because the developing nervous system is vulnerable to the toxic effects of lead, even at levels of exposure that do not cause obvious symptoms and signs.
Lead poisoning

The Most Popular Articles

Selected articles